Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Family Business


This is a story that I wrote during my fiction class in the spring semester. The instructor banned anything supernatural, magical or unexplainable, which bothered me because I enjoy writing fantasy fiction, and it is a fiction class. Nevertheless, I decided to follow the guidelines and try my hand in realistic fiction. In my attempt to create a classic mob story, I present to you this short story. Enjoy! 
Family Business
By Tyler Bridges
            New York City seemed brighter at night than it did during the day. The Big Apple was a star in its own right. Sitting in the passenger seat of my ’69 Camaro, I stared at Central Park from the side of the road. My fedora slipped, and I leaned over to see myself in the rearview mirror and adjust my hat.
            “The hat bothering you, Vinny?” To my left sat my mentor and boss, Tommy Giordano. He’d been the Capo of a crew since ‘61, and I had served under him for all ten of my years in the Family, since ‘76. He wore a pinstriped suit, with a matching fedora. Reaching into his jacket, he pulled out a cigar. He lowered his head as he lit it. “You look good, don’t worry about it.”
            “It’s just crooked, Tommy. Why do we even have to wear these fucking hats and suits? I don’t like wearing a monkey suit every day. This isn’t the 1930’s.”
            “The hat suits you, Vinny.” He lifted the cigar out of his mouth and used it to point at the park. “You should probably get out there, our guy will be there soon.” He looked over at me, raising an eyebrow. “You ready?”
            I reached into my own jacket and pulled out my Colt .45. “Yeah, sure. Let’s get this over with.”
            “You in a hurry? Got a hot date or something?”
            “Yeah, and I’d like to be there on time.”
            “Susanne again?”
            “Tommy, she’s my girlfriend. Who else would I see?”
            “I’m just saying, after we do this thing, I could call some girls and you can fuck someone other than Susanne tonight.”
            “Yeah, and what do I say to Susanne when she asks why I stood her up on a date that I planned?”
            “I don’t know, kid. Here’s an idea: make something up! That’s the point of a mistress. Your main squeeze doesn’t have to know about her.”
            “I care about this girl. We’re talking about moving in together eventually. I’m not going to screw her and I up with some random whore you got up your sleeve.”
            “Moving in? Vinny, that’s the worst mistake you could make! Well, actually marrying her is the worst mistake you can make. You’re not doing that too, are you?”
            “Fuck no. I couldn’t afford a wedding even if I wanted one.”
            “Money a problem all the sudden?”
            “Nah, the landlord’s just upping the rent on the apartment. No big deal.”
            “I’ll talk to the guys, they’ll take care of it.”
            “Take your time, it’s not important, really. I’m getting by just fine.”
            “I’m telling you, Vinny. Going any further with Susanne is a mistake. I never settled down, and I’m great. Look at me!”
            “I am, Tommy.”
            Tommy lowered his cigar and blew a wisp of smoke into the windshield. He shrugged. “Suit yourself, kid.”
            I opened my door and stepped out of the car, stretching to my full six –and-a-half foot frame. I slipped my gun back into my jacket, straightened my hat again, and walked through the park, in the park’s main loop. My black suit and hat blended me into the shadows, as I made my way down the path next to the street. The park was a big place, but from what I could see there were only a few people around. I’d have to be quick.
            I made my way deep into the green landscape, pausing every few minutes to look around for people. I looked at my watch, wondering if our information tip was accurate. I stopped at a bench and sat down, looking anxiously down the path for the guy I was waiting for. I reached into my jacket and pulled out a cigarette. Examining the white cylinder, I sighed and shoved it back into my jacket. I’d smoke later, after I did the job.
            It was some time before my quarry passed my way, jogging opposite me on the path. I pulled out my gun and, steadying my aim, shot him in his chest. As the shot rang out, my vision swam. Instead of my target, I saw the face of the first man I had killed. My first kill had been in a back alley, with Tommy right by my side. The man had pulled a gun on us, but
I had been faster, shooting him before he could take aim at either Tommy or me. Tommy had looked surprised then, saying that “he had never seen someone shoot that fast”.
My current target fell back, and I rushed up to catch him before he hit the ground. Blood was leaking from his chest, so I leaned him back to avoid spilling any blood on the path. As he hit my hands, I recalled how Tommy and I had carried the body of my first kill back to our car. Tommy had seen the horror in my eyes from touching the dead. It had made me sick. “It’s part of the job, kid”, he had said to me. “You have to be as good at ditching this shit as you do at killing it.” The body stunk like no other smell I had ever had the misfortune of smelling. That stink still gets to me, even when I get rid of other targets.
 I scanned the ground to make sure no blood was left behind on the path, then I pulled the man over my shoulder. He was heavy, and he slowed me down as I made my way back to my car. Tommy was looking out the window as I approached.
            “Heard the shot from here, nice work,” he said sarcastically. “I bet all of Manhattan heard that noise.”
            “Didn’t we pay off the cops on patrol before pulling this hit?”
            “Sure, but that doesn’t mean a little quiet isn’t welcome.” Tommy flicked the remainder of his cigar away and started up the Camaro. The engine roared to life. I opened the trunk and shoved the heavy body into it, closing the door on top of him. Climbing back into the passenger seat, I pulled my door shut as Tommy hit the accelerator. The Camaro lurched forward, pushing me back into my seat as the car went from idle to 40 miles per hour in a few seconds. Tommy turned sharply into Fifth Avenue, and we were on our way.
            “So, am I playing fucking taxi for you and your date, or are you going to help me get rid of this?” Tommy inclined his head towards me, waiting for an answer.
            I stared to my right, out of the window. “Roscoe’s first, that trunk fucking stinks.”
            “Having trouble with killing people all of the sudden?”
            “Nope, I’m just hungry.”
            “Yeah, yeah, okay.” Tommy took a sharp right, accelerating through the turn at an alarming rate. “So I’ll drop you off at your woman, but I need the car to take care of this mess.”
            “Sure, that’s fine. I’ll just walk her home.”
            “Where am I taking you then?”
            “Roscoe’s, two blocks forward, three blocks right.”
            Tommy looked over at me. “She doesn’t know, does she?”
            “No, of course not. I know the rules.”
            “I don’t want you making any mistakes, with Gotti taking over.”
            “Things are serious between us, Tommy. What happens if we take things to the next level?”
            “I told you, moving forward like that-“
            “Damn it, I heard what you said! I’m just trying to figure it all out.”
            “Look, I’m not going to tell you how to live your life. But I will tell you that you have to stay loyal to the Family. You know the consequences.” The car rolled to a stop along the curb. We had parked right in front of Roscoe’s Grill.
            I exhaled sharply. “I know. I won’t betray the Family. I just don’t like lying to my girl.” I looked over and met Tommy in the eye. “I owe you everything I’ve ever gained in this Family, Tommy. You took me under your wing when nobody else would. You made me one of the best.”
            Tommy smiled. “Give me more credit than that, kid. You’re not one of the best, you’re the best. Nobody in this Family kills like you do.”
            “Thanks, Tommy. That means a lot.” I opened my door and climbed out of the car. “I’ll meet you back at Central Park in a couple hours, alright?”
            “Forget about it, I’ll take care of everything tonight. You have fun, I’ll meet you tomorrow.” With that, Tommy winked and sped away into the street. I turned on my heel and walked towards Roscoe’s, straightening my tie and buttoning my jacket. My hat slipped again, and I adjusted it back into place.
            The restaurant was a full house. Every booth and table was filled with a group of heads, and those at the bar gave only their backs to me. I took off my hat and ran my hand through my hair, searching for the table I had. After a time, my eyes locked onto a table that had one empty seat.
            Her back was to me. She hadn’t seen me enter. She wore a thin black dress that clung to her slender frame, highlighting her curves. Her blonde hair spilled down to the middle of her back, reflecting the light from the lamp above her. She was sipping a glass of water, and impatience was set in her frame.
            I walked up quietly behind her and tapped her on her shoulder. “Excuse me miss, but is this seat taken?”
            She looked up at me in surprise. After recognition set in, she smiled her perfect smile. She played along, like she always did. “Why yes, it actually is. You see, I’m waiting here for my boyfriend, he was supposed to meet me here, and I’ve only just arrived, so he should be here any minute.” I laughed and leaned over to her. She inclined her head up to me and our lips met. I took my seat and pulled up a menu. “Sorry for being late. You weren’t waiting long?”
            “Not at all, hon.” She took another sip of water. “Rough day at the bank?”
            “Yeah.” I kept my gaze down at my menu, trying to focus on the printed words. “I had to work late, there was something there that needed my skills to complete.”
            She reached across the table to grab my hand, and I took it. “It’s because you’re such a workaholic, they know that they can count on you.”
            I nodded, giving her a half smile. “My boss offered to finish everything up though, so I could make it to dinner.”
            “Oh, that’s so nice of him!”
            “How was your day?” I needed the change of subject. Lying to her was killing me.
            “Oh, you know, nothing special. The office was boring today.” Susanne worked as a column writer for the New York Times. She had landed the job a year ago, and her entire career had taken off from the opportunity. I was jealous of her, really. She didn’t have to lie about her job.
            “Vinny?”
            I snapped back to reality. Susanne only called me by my name when it was important. Otherwise, it was always some kind of pet name.
            “What is it, Susie?”
            She looked down at her menu. “I… We’ve talked about moving in for months now, Vinny. When is it going to happen?”
            “Christ, Susie, I’ve told you, I don’t make enough money to get a bigger place yet!” That, at least, was true. Until Tommy worked his magic with my new rent, I would have to wait to spend any more money.
            “I have a job too, you know. I think we can make it work.”
            “Susie, I think we should just set some money aside first, before we go and try to get a place together.”
            “Is that a yes, then?”
            I nodded. “Just not right now. But soon.”
            She smiled that perfect smile of hers. I felt accomplished for avoiding that bullet again.
           
            As I was walking down the street after saying goodbye to Susanne, a black sedan pulled up and honked. I turned, and one of the tinted windows rolled down. A voice came from inside. “Rossi, get in.” I climbed into the car.
            “The Boss wants to see you, Rossi,” the man in the driver seat said. “We’re taking you to him now.”
            I swallowed nervously. The Boss was John Gotti, who had just taken over the Gambino Family a year ago. He assumed power by killing the former Boss, and in only a year he had become the most notorious crime boss in New York.
            The car pulled up to a bar. “He’s in here.” The men led me past the bar and pool tables into a back room. A giant man was blocking my way into the next room. He motioned for me to lift my arms, and I complied. He patted me down, removing my gun from my jacket. I glared at him, but he was head and shoulders taller than me, and I wasn’t planning on fighting a giant.
            The next room was dimly lit, with a single table underneath an overhead lamp. There were two seats at the table, and in the seat farthest from the door sat John Gotti, the Gambino Boss. He was flanked by two bodyguards. Their eyes never left me as I moved closer to the table. The giant shut the door behind me.
            Gotti wore a black suit with a silk tie and shirt. He did not have a hat, and he wasn’t smoking. In front of him was a full plate of spaghetti, two chunks of garlic bread, and a drink.
            “Vinchenzo Rossi, I believe?” Gotti looked up at me, smiling.
            “Yeah Boss, that’s me.”
            He motioned to the other seat. “Please, sit.” A hand from behind me gripped my shoulder, attempting to shove me into the chair, but Gotti waved them away. “Mr. Rossi is our guest, let him stand if he wants.” I knew better than to ignore an invitation from him, so I sat down.
            “You want a plate?” Gotti gestured to his spaghetti. I shook my head politely. Manners were important here, one move of disrespect and I’d disappear forever.
            “No thanks, Boss. I’m not a huge fan of pasta.”
            “Not a fan of pasta, what are you, American?” Gotti laughed as he shoved another forkful into his mouth. “Us Italians, we gotta stick to our roots, you know?”
            “It’s all too much for me. Maybe the new staple Italian food should be a cheeseburger.”
            The bodyguards found this funny, as they chuckled to themselves. Gotti shrugged, continuing to stir the pasta around his plate.
            “Very well, straight to business then.” Gotti set his fork down, folding his hands in front of him. “As you’re probably aware, there are those in the Family who don’t approve of the way I’ve taken control. There’s enough of them that if they banded together, they could take me out. So I’m taking care of this problem before it comes to ruin me.” He looked away for a moment, as if he was trying to collect his thoughts. “I hear you’re quite the hitman.”
            I held up my hands. “I do what I can.”
            “Could I count on you to help me take care of this problem?”
            “Of course.”
            “Some of the guys say you’re the best.”
            “I learned from the best.”
            “Exactly. That brings us to your first kill for me then.” Gotti looked back at me. “You need to kill Tommy Giordano.”
            “What?”
            Was he serious? Kill Tommy? Why would Tommy ever move against the Family? Tommy always preached loyalty to me. “Boss, you can’t be serious…”
            “I’m very serious, Mr. Rossi. Mr. Giordano has enough friends in this Family that he could create a movement against me. So I’m ordering his death. I thought I’d offer the hit to you first.”
            “Why?”
            “Because the man who kills him will take his place as the Capo of that crew.”
            I stopped. If I were Capo, I would have access to the money that Tommy gave out to everyone, which would allow for Susanne and I to move in together, in our own place. I could cut out the middleman. I would move up in the Family, and I would have an even more secure position. I was ready to do it; just one hit and everything would be easier, except-
            Tommy was my closest friend in the Family. He made me who I am, taught me everything I know. If it weren’t for him, I’d have never made it to this table.
            Gotti saw the conflict on my face. “Tell you what: I’ll give you twenty-four hours to make the hit. If Tommy Giordano isn’t dead by tomorrow, I’ll have someone else do it, and nothing will have changed for you.” He stood up, wiping his mouth with his napkin. “Have a good night, Mr. Rossi.” He walked out the door, and the bodyguards followed. I remained in my chair, too stunned to move.
           
            The night was getting colder as I walked home on Madison Avenue. I was lost in a different world. I managed to find a pay phone, and I called Susanne right away. The phone rang, and I waited for her to pick up.
            I couldn’t kill Tommy. He was my best friend in this terrible and wonderful line of work. If I killed him, I would have power, but at the cost of my friend.
            The phone rang a second time. I thought of Susanne. We had been together for so long, but stuck in this rut of waiting to advance our relationship. I wanted nothing more than to take our relationship to the next level, but I was scared. If Susanne found out about my real job, she’d be dead within a week, and I wouldn’t be too far behind.
            The phone finally picked up. Susanne, with a sleepy tone to her voice, answered. “Hello?”
            “Hey, Susie, it’s Vinny.”
            “Vinny? What’s wrong?”
            “I just need to talk to you right now. You think I can come over for a while?”
            “Yeah, sure thing.”
            I hung up, and turned back on to Madison Avenue. Susanne’s apartment was two blocks away, on the corner of East 78th and Lexington. I broke into a run. It took me fifteen minutes to weave through the people, but I made it to the apartment. I buzzed on the box at the entrance, pressing the button for 3C, and the door unlocked. I climbed the stairs to the third floor, walking over to Susanne’s door. She let me in without a word, and we embraced. After we parted, she took my hat and coat and hung them in her closet. I moved over to her couch.
            “Got anything to drink?”
            She pulled a bottle of wine from the wall and withdrew two glasses. As she poured the wine, she looked over at me with worry. “Vinny, what’s wrong?”
            I stared at the wall. “The bank contacted me after we said goodbye tonight.” I took my glass and had a long drink. “They offered me a promotion.”
            “Sweetie, how is that a bad thing? That’s great, isn’t it?”
            “I have to fire one of my co-workers in order to take the promotion. He’s one of my best friends.” I turned to her. “I’m not sure if I can do it.”
            She took my head and pulled it onto her shoulder. “I’m sorry, hon.” We stayed like that for what felt like forever, me on her shoulder and her rocking me back and forth. She stroked my hair, and I let myself drift in thought for a time.
            “Vinny…” Susanne’s voice was faint, but still firm, as if she had something she had to say but she didn’t want to say it. “When I took your jacket, I felt something in the pocket, and I found this.” She pulled my gun out from behind her and set it on the coffee table.
            I froze. I had been so preoccupied with my dilemma that I had completely forgotten to take precautions and cover my tracks when visiting Susanne.
            “What are you doing with a gun in your jacket?” Susanne sounded frightened, but determined to know the truth.
            “I-“ I had absolutely nothing. No excuse, no story, no lie. It would have been relieving to not have to lie, if I hadn’t been found out like this. “I can’t tell you, Susie. Not right now, anyway.”
            “Why not right now?” Susie pressed further, her voice starting to sound angry.
            “’Cause it’s a long story, and I don’t think it’s a good idea to tell it right now.” I stood up and moved to the door.
            “Vinny.” I stopped, but didn’t turn around. “Don’t you walk out of that door.”
“I have to, Susie.”
“Why? What are you hiding?”
“I told you, I can’t tell you!” I opened the door and left, but not before Susanne left me a warning.
 “I’ll wait for you till tomorrow night. If you can’t come here and tell me the truth by tomorrow night, then we’re done.”
            I didn’t say anything as I slung my jacket over my shoulder.

            Central Park was the exact same as the night before, except the landscape was bathed in sunlight instead of darkness. I stood next to a dumpster in an alley off of 72nd Street, smoking and waiting for Tommy to arrive. A wave of drowsiness washed over me in a yawn, and I shook the urge to close my eyes. My lack of sleep from the night before was starting to get to me.
            I glanced at my watch. Tommy would be here in five minutes, if he was going to arrive on time. I felt my Colt .45 in my jacket pocket, fitting comfortable against my chest. The sun felt warm, and I was getting hotter every minute in my suit. 
            “Hey kid.” Tommy came up from my right, in his usual pinstripe suit and fedora.
            “God dammit, Tommy, why do we have to wear these suits? It’s somewhere around ninety fucking degrees outside.”
            “It’s tradition, Vinny.” Tommy motioned for me to walk with him, and I fell into step beside him. My cigarette ran out, and I flicked it away into the ground. I reached for another cigarette in my jacket, but felt my gun against my hand. Sighing, I fell behind Tommy a couple steps and took out the gun. I pointed it at Tommy’s head and-
            “Put it away, kid.” Tommy had stopped, but still faced away from me.
            “You had this coming, you knew that, right?”
            “Sure I did. But I never thought it’d be you.”
            We sat there in silence for a few seconds. I moved a little closer to him, keeping my gun pointed at the back of his head.
            “What’d they offer you, Vinny? Money? Security?”
            “Try your job.”
            Tommy sighed, as if he understood. “Are you going to look me in the eye as you shoot me?”
            “Turn around, but keep your hands above your head. Don’t try to pull anything.”
            Tommy turned slowly, until he faced me directly. He looked relaxed, but his face betrayed none of his emotions. “Has it really come to this? Are you really going to shoot me? I taught you everything you know!”
            “You never taught me how to make a decision like this.”
 “Not everything can be taught.” Tommy looked at me, frowning. “The job doesn’t pay too much better.”
            “It’s not about the money. Susanne found out about the Family.”
            Tommy smiled with pity. “And you think taking my place will give you enough power to protect her?” He shook his head. “You don’t get it, kid. They can do whatever the fuck they want. You and me, we don’t mean anything.”
            “I have to try. I have to save Susanne. I can keep her safe, I can gain the Boss’ trust and keep her safe. Under my new protection, she can be kept secret from the Family. Gotti said that he appreciated my work, that means he’ll keep me around.”
            “Yea, sure. He’ll keep you around until you get too good at your job. Until you’re in my position, and have too many friends. Once you’re a threat to Gotti, he’ll whack you just like he’s whacking me now.”
            I stayed quiet, but kept my gun pointed right in between his eyes.
            Tommy gave me a smirk. “You know, you’re breaking all the rules I taught you by keeping me alive this long.”
            I returned his smirk. “I still know how to finish a job.” I squeezed the trigger. The gun sounded with a terrific boom. Tommy looked shocked, glancing down at the widening red circle in his chest underneath his shirt.
            He looked up at me, and I saw his eyes grow distant. “Well, I’m glad you got what you wanted, kid.” He coughed, and blood leaked from his mouth. “I hope it was worth it.” He fell to the ground, looking far past me.  
            “It’s for Susanne,” I said as I looked down at him. “I’m sorry, Tommy.” I raised my gun and shot him again. I heard clapping behind me, and I turned to see Gotti walking out from behind a tree, flanked by two bodyguards.
            “Well done, Mr. Rossi, well done.” He motioned to Tommy’s body, and the bodyguards moved to pick it up. “Congratulations on your promotion.”
            “How much of that did you hear?”
            “Oh, I heard all of it. I wanted to see if you had the balls to do a hard job for me.”
            “Well, I killed him for you.”
            “Yes, yes you did. But you have someone in your life who knows about our operation.”
            “Susanne won’t tell anyone about this.”
            “No, she won’t, because she’s dead.” Gotti read the look of astonishment on my face and explained. “She was a liability.”
“She was my life!”
“Don’t be so naïve, Mr. Rossi. Nobody learns about the Family who isn’t supposed to and lives to tell about it. Did you really think that she would be okay? She was a reporter for the paper, for Christ’s sake.”
“That’s why I tried to keep her in the dark!” My hands started to shake, and I felt dizzy. Susanne was dead? How was I supposed to keep my head on straight without her?
 “Keeping her in the dark was for the best, but now that she’s dead, you’ll perform so much better.”
I looked down at my gun. Tommy had been right. “Who killed her?”
“Well, when you left the restaurant after I gave you your decision, I had you followed. I’ve got a guy who watches the restaurant for me usually, and he called for a tail. When it was clear that you were found out, we had to cover your tracks.”
I wasn’t hearing him anymore. All I heard was “I’ve got a guy who watches the restaurant”. Gotti saw the look in my eye. “Vinny.” I turned to him. He looked at me with understanding and said under his breath, “Don’t leave a mess.”
He offered me a slip of folded paper. “I have another assignment for you. Your new life can begin right here, if you want it to.”
            I took the paper, staring at the blood on the pavement from Tommy’s body. I wasn’t sure what was in store, but I had no choice except to continue what I did best.
            Starting with Roscoe’s Grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment